Thursday 28 January 2016

Maybe Baby by Kim Golden


REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard


Maybe BabyMaybe Baby by Kim Golden
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book engaged me from the first page and was a different take on other thirty-something women wanting a baby narratives. The storyline went a completely different direction than what I expected; it was fresh and unpredictable. The book centres on Laney, a black, American woman in Sweden. Laney was likable as a character, but I felt she was disempowered in her relationship with Niklas. Even though Laney and Niklas had been together five years, Laney didn't seem to have much say in daily life operations. This was a contrast with her busy work life where she seemed in control. Niklas was a character I just couldn't like. He seemed a little devious and lacked investment in the relationship. Niklas' relationship with his ex made me irritated beyond belief.

There's another man in this story. Mads is a Dane and the description of him was immediately enticing but as I got to know him, it was his personality and interactions that made him ultimately attractive. Laney in Mads' company was a woman freed and her personality shone through.

The book had a number of elements that worked for me, it was unpredictable, slightly forbidden, a little angsty but with plenty of hope. The relationships had great heat but it didn't feel like the key focus of this book and I felt the balance of this was just right as the story line was meaty and real.

This book was set between Sweden and Denmark and I enjoyed the setting. My mother is Scandanavian, so I could picture visually some aspects of the story but I think any reader would engage with the setting. It was a nice change from the US or the UK.

I'm looking forward to reading the next books in the series and I have found a new author I like.

The author provided a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.


View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...