Sunday 21 February 2016

Lev by Belle Aurora

REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

Lev (Shot Callers, #1)Lev by Belle Aurora
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've not read anything by Belle Aurora since Raw, mainly because when you love a book from an author and it messes with your mind, you sometimes pause before going there again. The blurb for Lev was undeniably interesting and this read grabbed me from the first page, though it is fair to say it lost some intensity in the second half. Despite this change in intensity, I remained engaged in this story that had unusual elements.

Both the main characters have backgrounds which leave you wanting to know more. Mina lives on the streets and is literally starving and Lev isn't able to process emotions like other people. I truly liked these two from the offset.

"Any mask on the street is a good mask."

Lev was a bit of a contradiction, he didn't emote normally but he had capacity for empathy, I was able to buy into this inconsistency in his character. Mina isn't convenient physical perfection, particularly in the initial months after finding a home. Their flaws were there but didn't define them. This book has a slow burn and it was worth the wait. I found all the characters to be well developed and the Leotov family was rich in diversity and depth. I can see potential future books that I'm interested in coming from a few of the secondary characters, in particular Nas and Sasha.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...