Monday 29 February 2016

Slip of The Tongue by Jessica Hawkins




REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

Slip of the TongueSlip of the Tongue by Jessica Hawkins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is one of those reviews that is incredibly difficult to write for a number of reasons, namely it needs to be totally spoiler free which is difficult and because this book messed with my head and sliced through my heart. I will never ever forget this book, it's characters and their story.

This is a book with a normal married couple who experience relationship complexities that hit most couples in one way or another. However, there is a monumental communication breakdown between these two. This issue is the start and end of everything. The story was excellent, beautifully written with such flow that I truly got lost between the pages. However, I had to have breathers, regularly, where you just need to close the kindle and process the mind **** that is going on. In addition, buddy reading it made it even better, we griped together and we shared the angst together.

The story, Sophie and Nathan (the couple) and Finn (the plus one) made me feel so much. It's been a while since I've had such a range of emotions over a book. I felt frustrated, annoyed, desire, sad, hopeful, shattered, longing and angry to name a few. The angst was powerful and whilst I can't read books with this level of angst everyday, this was perfect for being in the mood for being challenged.

"Maybe he can't worship my ground anymore, because he's found a new place to kneel."

The book had the ability to provoke reflection on my own relationship and I believe that if you are in a long term relationship you can't help but think what you would do in Nathan and Sadie's situations at various junctures. Problems can fester if not addressed and these two were proof of this. Jessica Hawkins is new to me although I've heard much about her Cityscape series. I will be seeking out her other books.

A copy of this book was provided through netgalley in return for an honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.



View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...