Tuesday 3 May 2016

The Other Side of Gravity by Shelly Crane



REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

The Other Side Of Gravity (Oxygen #1)The Other Side Of Gravity by Shelly Crane
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have very mixed feelings about this book. The cover is stunning, the blurb intriguing and Shelly Crane herself is enough to make me want to read this book. The world she has created between the pages has lots of potential, a kind of dystopian existence on another planet; transplants from earth. However, I found the world building sometimes confusing, heavy on description (which made visualisation good) but for some reason I just wasn't drawn in. Lots of things about this world were fascinating: the gravity and oxygen issues, the caste system and hierarchy and the technology. I didn't always feel as though I got enough information about these things.

The lead characters of Sophelia and Maxon have promise but their lives are so full of complexity that it detracts from truly understanding who they are and how they tick. I also struggled to feel the connection between these two. I could sense the possibility but not the reality of it. I guess I wanted more from them. This was an okay read and less than my expectations as a fan of Shelly Crane.

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in return for an honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...