Tuesday 7 June 2016

Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway


REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

Emmy & OliverEmmy & Oliver by Robin Benway
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

6 stars

I find that I sometimes have a rather singular reaction to the best of the best of books. I read and read, the emotion builds and builds and it's not until the final words are read that the dam breaks and I release the tears. Tears of sadness, pain and wonder. Emmy and Oliver was sublime. Perfection all wrapped up in a YA package. This book sang to my book soul, attuned to its needs.

Emmy and Oliver have their childhood friendship interrupted at age 7 when Oliver's dad takes him for the weekend and never brings him back. When they're 17, Oliver returns. This is a story that feels so very tangible and real both in its depiction but also in the emotions the characters and their families experience.

This is my first book by Robin Benway and I found not only her creativity with the story and characters to be excellent, but the writing flowed beautifully. I just know this book is going to give me the worst of hangovers, so it needs to be placed in the 6 star hall of fame which means it's not only a favourite this year but one of all time.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...