Monday 6 June 2016

Grin and Beard It by Penny Reid


REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

Grin and Beard It (Winston Brothers, #2)Grin and Beard It by Penny Reid
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm a true Penny Reid fan, I dig her writing style, her ability to inject wit and poignancy in unexpected measure and she creates a 'family' of characters in her series that grab you until you're invested. The Winston Brothers (and sister) clearly are family and Jethro's story was a natural continuation of the theme set in book one. Jethro kind of makes me swoony; it's the blasted description. Jethro isn't just lumberjack-gorgeous, he's such a man of integrity. Mind you, this integrity is a bit of a stumbling block to any relationship development because he's so selfless to the point of frustration.

Sienna is the strangest fit to Jethro. She's a fabulous Mexican woman but she's hugely Hollywood famous, not really the simple life type. I must admit that whilst I liked both these characters in isolation, I didn't feel their connection for some time in the book. It took me to 40% in to feel I was as invested in their connection as they said they were. There were some shenanigans to behold and I truly did enjoy getting to know Jethro in particular.

A key strength of this book is the cast of other characters. I now see that Cletus is such a mischievous trouble maker; I can't wait for his story. I want to see more of Claire and of Billy. This series has lots of potential as it continues.

A copy of this book was provided by the author in return for an honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...