Saturday 13 August 2016

Swear on This Life by Renee Carlino


REVIEWED BY Melinda Lazar

Swear on This LifeSwear on This Life by Renee Carlino
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Swear On This Life by Renèe Carlino
4.5*

If you've read other reviews of this book, you'll have noticed a common statement: Swear On This Life is like nothing you've ever read before. I found myself intrigued by the concept of the book and was gripped within the first few pages.

Emiline, an adjunct writing instructor struggling with her own writing is given a best-selling book by her roommate who insists that she read it ASAP. Within the first few pages, Emiline realizes that this is her life story, written in her point of view. The details of this best-seller are so particular that it could only have been written by Jase, her childhood best-friend/first love that she lost touch with many years ago.

We get to read chapters of the story within the story and I truly felt that it was brilliantly executed. I'll be honest and say that I didn't really care for present-day Emiline; she was a little too selfish and immature for my liking but getting to know her past did change my view of her somewhat. Jase, then and now, was a real sweetheart; selfless, wise beyond his years, and his love for Emiline was almost tangible.

This is my first book by Carlino and I fully intend to rectify that. While I thoroughly enjoyed the book, I felt that certain parts were perhaps a touch anticlimactic - I just felt that the way things panned out didn't really live up to the build-up. I also would have really loved a more of Jase and Emi in the 'now'.

*arc received courtesy of NetGalley in exchange for honest review.

**Reviewed by Melinda for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/B00P42WOI0/R1069R05WGJ4XN?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...