Tuesday 4 October 2016

Down Shift by K. Bromberg


REVIEWED BY Melinda Lazar

Down Shift (Driven, #8)Down Shift by K. Bromberg
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Down Shift by K. Bromberg

I know I was in the extreme minority of readers who wasn't a huge fan of the first few books in the Driven series. However, when I realized who this book was about, I immediately requested a copy from the publisher and at this point in my life, I'm fully prepared to go back and read the books that I've missed. Why? Because I've fallen in love with Bromberg's writing and most especially with these characters.

Getty is on the run from her past. From the moment her mother passed away when she was a child, she's not known love. She's been manipulated, controlled, used as a pawn by those who claim to love her and she's done. She's come Pineridge to hide, yes, but also to rediscover herself and heal from the invisible wounds. The unfortunate thing is that Getty thinks she's so weak and needy etc and doesn't see the absolute strength she possesses. Luckily, Zander can see the strength within and helps Getty see herself how he does. She's a character that you can't help but like and feel an abundance of compassion for while at the same time being in awe at her resilience in the face of what she's been through and the decisions she's had to make.

Zander is a race-car driver and has made a recent discovery that has turned his life on its axis. He leaves his life behind and heads to Pineridge to lick his wounds, find answers, and deal with the blows thrown at him all while helping his friend with home repairs. What he doesn't expect when arriving in Pineridge is another inhabitant invading what was to be his private escape. I loved Zander as a little boy, but as a man? Just wow. He's beyond incredible: he's sweet, he's protective, he's raw, he's real, and he's broken. I couldn't help but fall in love again with the man he's become.

This is a story about two people who have escaped their day to day lives and have come to heal and find answers in Pineridge, albeit alone. I was drawn right into this book from the first page and could not put it down till the last. I highly recommend this standalone whether you enjoyed the previous books or not.

*arc received in from NetGalley in exchange for honest review.

**Reviewed by Melinda for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.com/review/RWA3PSN5HELQI/ref=pe_1098610_137716200_cm_rv_eml_rv0_rv

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R13YJ7OMXM9L4K/ref=pe_1572281_66412651_cm_rv_eml_rv0_rv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...