Thursday 13 October 2016

The Bachelor Auction by Rachel Van Dyken


REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

The Bachelor Auction (The Bachelors of Arizona, #1)The Bachelor Auction by Rachel Van Dyken
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 stars

I found this to be a light read with great humour. This is a book with an initial serendipitous meeting between Jane and Brock. It definitely has a Cinderella feel to it and I enjoyed this element; familiar but contemporary. Jane is immediately likeable until it comes to her two sisters. I could not for the life of me, understand her submissive attitude to the long term mistreatment her sisters directed her way, it was more subtle than the ugly sisters but very frustrating. Jane was clearly a confident, assertive woman able to establish and run a business but under the thumb of her sisters. However, Jane was also a breath of fresh air kind of personality and I couldn't but help be drawn to her.

I adored the first meeting between Brock and Jane. Brock was a knight in this encounter but it all went downhill from there. I did struggle a little with Brock's personality demise as the story moved to another location and it took me some time to warm to him again. However, I think these insufficiencies in both the main characters made them perhaps more tangible and less fairytale. A highlight of this book was Brock's grandfather, what a creative manipulator!

The writing was fairly quick paced and flowed well with lots of funny dialogue. I would only say sometimes I wanted something deeper with regards to the characters themselves. Overall, a solid and funny take on Cinderella.

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in return for an honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.com/review/R1UDLBHDO8A981/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...