Wednesday 2 November 2016

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman



REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)Illuminae by Amie Kaufman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

6 stars

A rare rating from me for a unique book, formatted in such a way that it enhanced the read hugely. The story itself and the characters make this a fanatastic read but the illustrations, concept of the dialogue and the AI itself were able to capture my imagination and make it fly.

The story line had moments where it reminded me of Battlestar Galactica the series, which I was a fan of, but that didn't last long, as the story took its own journey into unusual territory. The three key characters of this book each have a special place in my regard now, Kady the most courageous young female to walk into an intergalactic battle; Ezra, an arrogant young man, willing to change and AIDAN the ship's artificial intelligence. Some of these characters I loved, hated and irritated me at times, but they did evoke such emotions. I've had tears, fears and a little hope. I've felt frightened, tense and in suspense.

The writing flowed so well and for a fast-paced sci-fi and with unusual formatting of the pages, this is some feat. I've been a fan of Amie Kaufman since These Broken Stars but this partnership with Jay Kristoff is something a step above in my opinion. I think this is the kind of sci-fi book that can pull in non-fans and make them absorbed, so if you're not naturally a reader of this genre, it is worth trying. I particularly recommend the hard/paperback to get the full experience and if you're a geek like me, you can try audio read-along.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R28USAGER4WAMJ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...