Monday 14 November 2016

The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon


REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

The Sun Is Also a StarThe Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The reading of this book has been an epic journey, starting with the highest anticipation as a huge fan of Everything Everything, going to the lowest low of DNF.......and then, it's not the end, being persuaded to pick it back up and enjoying the story and talent behind this book. Phew, I feel exhausted just explaining it. I've experienced a wealth of emotions, not all good, but I've come away so very glad that I gave this book a few second chances because I do believe my first struggle was due to mood. I'm enriched by this novel that tackles prejudice in a very tangible way through a first love that's so complicated.

"We are capable of big lives. A big history. Why settle? Why choose the practical thing, the mundane thing? We are born to dream and make the things we dream about."

I didn't immediately like the heroine, Natasha but I could see why she was so prickly. However, Daniel worked his poetically-souled magic on her and what emerges is quite a story. The ending packed the most emotional punch.

I have to address why this was a difficult read that almost led to permanent DNF. In fact I didn't come back to it until a week later. I found the first 25% slow and I struggled with what I was convinced were random POV. I did eventually realise their purpose but I do think other readers may struggle with this entry to the story, however I would encourage continuation. There are many, many beautiful lines in this book that I found profound. I herald the author for her talent, tackling prejudice and immigration from an interesting angle. I almost think I needed this read in the current political climate. I end with this, or rather Ms Yoon ends my review with some of her words:

"When they say the heart wants what it wants, they're talking about the poetic heart - the heart of love songs and soliloquies, the one that can break as if it were just-formed glass. They're not talking about the real heart, the one that only needs healthy foods and aerobic exercise. But the poetic heart is not to be trusted. It is fickle and will lead you astray. It will tell you that all you need is love and dreams. It will say nothing about food and water and shelter and money. It will tell you that this person, the one in front of you who caught your eye for whatever reason, is the One. And he is. And she is."

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher through Netgalley in return for a honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...