Wednesday 31 May 2017

True Hero by Susan Owensby

REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard


True HeroTrue Hero by Susan Owensby
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

An interesting debut from Susan Owensby that held lots of potential. This was a tale of abusive husband and a woman, Ally on the run thanks to an organisation that provided new identities. Most of this book takes place 3 years later where Ally is settled in a town but remains vigilant and isolated with her son.

EX-SEAL Jonah has been trying to catch Ally's attention for a few years but she isn't open to this. Jonah was a very likable character and I did enjoy the chemistry between these two. Sometimes the narrative felt simplistic and there was an element of things being a bit too insta-love for my liking. Nevertheless, I did feel gripped by this tale of suspense until about 75% when it all became a bit too brutal. The narrative is utterly graphic and felt almost too much for what had passed in the previous 75%. Because of the very graphic nature of the description, I feel I have to mention that this book will be a trigger for some readers. The wrapping up of events was too convenient in the end for me.

I really liked the first half of the book, but the second half wasn't as strong and turned me off the characters and story somewhat.

A copy of this book was provided by the author in return for a honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...