Thursday 21 December 2017

Truth or Dare by Non Pratt

REVIEWED BY
Micky Barnard 


Truth or DareTruth or Dare by Non Pratt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

4.5 stars

TRUTH OR DARE has knocked my figurative socks off. I got a signed copy in my illumicrate and got round to reading it just now. The cover is interesting, the blurb too but the characters and context are so much more.

Sef and Claire are an unlikely friendship, drawn to partner in a project of their own making over Kam, Sef’s brother with a traumatic brain injury. Kam is present but subtly in the background of this story, however Kam’s experiences, the reality of his abilities/disabilities afterwards and the effect of his injury on the family, especially Sef, pack an emotional punch. There’s actually not a whole lot of Kam, mostly Sef and Claire who are awkwardly wonderful.

The realistic narrative of the gawky and graceless growing friendship between Sef and Claire is fun to read and I found myself invested in their bond, their aim and wanting more for them. There is chemistry and flirting that had subtle, believable feels. The side characters of Seren, Rich and Amir were fabulous and rich.

What is super special about this book is you read half way from Claire’s POV, reaching a painfully WHAAAAT moment, then turn over and read from opposite end of the book for Sef’s POV. Initially, Sef’s POV was less appealing but it built and built to brimming emotions.

This might be a lesser known book but it really deserves more recognition as it is the kind of YA that sings to my book soul and the fact that it felt so familiarly British was another score. Highly recommended to all my YA loving friends. I’ll definitely be reading more from Non Pratt.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews




No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...