Monday 7 May 2018

The Smoke Thieves by Sally Green


REVIEWED BY
Micky Barnard


The Smoke Thieves (The Smoke Thieves, #1)The Smoke Thieves by Sally Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

THE SMOKE THIEVES was a cleverly crafted tale from the beginning and a little unusual in terms of having five teens as the lead main characters. Their journeys both figurative and actual don’t seem connected but do interweave and transect as the story progresses.

Each of these teen characters live in a fantasy somewhat historical world with fighting countries, demons, illegal substances, illegitimate children, royalty and criminals. It made for a real mix of lives, classes and was colourful in every way.

I favoured the stories of Tash, the demon catcher and Catherine, the princess sent off to an arranged marriage. I think I loved these two because they were strong young women but oh, so different from one another. The other characters were also interesting in the main. Ambrose, I liked but I felt that he was only Catherine’s young, immature crush and that Prince Tzsayn cut a much more inviting character.

This book ended well, leaving much unanswered but I didn’t feel unsettled. I really think there’s more to know about the demon initially captured and about their race in particular; I specifically want more about this element. This series has lots of potential with this starting gambit and I will definitely be continuing.

A voluntarily read an early copy of this book.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...